Delegatskaya st., 3.
Answerphone:+7(499) 973 32 19
Excursion:+7(495) 609 01 46

RU / EN
x

Search

Extended search

THE FIRST DETACHABLE MATRESHKA DOLL
THE FIRST DETACHABLE MATRESHKA DOLL

Wood and bone / Wood Toys and Sculpture

THE FIRST DETACHABLE MATRESHKA DOLL

1930s

Sergiev Posad

КП 5718/1-18, НДИ

Wood, turning, pyrogravure, painting

27х11 cm

Woodwork and Bone Work Department

Matreshka dolls were first developed in the end of the 1890-s in the workshop "Children's Education" in Moscow and quickly became extremely popular. The doll was created by lathe operator V.P. Zvezdochkin and a famous artist S.V. Malyutin. They were the ones to determine its shape and the basics rules of its painting in the traditional artistic style. The doll gained acceptance during the Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1900 and was awarded with a bronze medal. Its further mass production in the workshops of Sergiev Posad and at other factories turned it from a developing toy into a recognizable national symbol.